Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Fight Against Cancer

Cancer is an ugly word because it names an ugly disease.

I lost my mom, Anne Picone,  to ovarian cancer on March 15, 2011. Eleven days later, my friend Peggy Goodhue succombed to lung cancer. Right now, my sister, Pam Turner,  is battling colon cancer. Over the years, various other family members and friends have fought the disease. Some have won, some have lost.

Great strides have been made in the treatment of some types of cancer. Others are still resistant to the doctors' best efforts. More research is needed and that means more money. In these days, it can be hard to decide where to donate hard-earned money. But so many of us have been touched by cancer. I hope you will consider this request.

Paul Goodhue is riding in the Pan Mass Challenge, a two-day bike ride organized to raise money for cancer research. He rides in memory of his wife Peggy and in honor of my sister Pam. A link to his "Pace Line" is below. He has worked and his dedication and riding stamina are amazing. Please consider supporting him or one of the other riders in the PMC. Thank you.


Paul Goodhue's PMC ride.


Have a blessed day!




This is my 22 post in the July 2012 Ultimate Blog Challenge.

5 comments:

  1. You are a Rock Star Melinda!
    Your family & friends are lucky
    to have you. Best wishes to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melinda,
    Your story shines light on this terrible disease. It touches so many of us. Thanks for what you and Paul are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it does. Thanks for your words of encouragement.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the information. I am wading through the battle as well and am inspired by Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God bless you as you fight this disease. I, too, am inspired by Paul. He is really an amazing man. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete