Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Ending Drunk Driving


Thirty people.

That’s how many are killed every day in the U.S. by drunk and drugged drivers.

Exactly two years ago on  July 17, 2009, Tom Serewicz was one of them. You can read my blog post of his story here.


It is in his memory that I post links to resources to help end drunk driving. It is my hope that no more young women will be left widows, no more small children will be left fatherless, no more mothers and fathers will get that horrifying phone call, no more siblings will have cause to cry because of such an avoidable situation.











And once more, I make the plea: designate a driver, sleep where you are drinking, don’t hesitate to take the keys. Many people will thank you for it. Including me.








I knew Tom because of the Christian Youth Conference at Ocean Park. 

This is my 17th post for the Ultimate Blog Challenge.

4 comments:

  1. thank you so much for this. It is my goal to begin a foundation in Toms name by July 17 2013. It is a major undertaking and I am praying for guidance from Our Father... please offer a prayer that I will hear His voice and make the right choices with how to go. Thank you for remembering him in your heart, and here for others to know that Tom was and is a good soul, a man to be remembered.... his was a life treasured, and stolen from the world far far too soon. God Bless us all!
    Lynne Serewicz, Tom's mom, friend,teacher and student...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings on you, Lynne. He was gone to soon.

      Delete
  2. An excellent reminder. When I was young, the message my mother always gave me was, "I would prefer you not drink, but if you do, please call." That's the same message I passed on to my son, and while I'm not glad that he was drinking as a teen, I am glad he called once or twice to say he was staying put for the night rather than drive. It may not be the best case scenario, but it's far from the worst.

    Sympathies to you on the loss of your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. And you're right that it's not the worst case scenario. If they MUST drink, they need to feel it's safe to make that call.

    ReplyDelete