Friday, April 6, 2012

Is Slayer a Christian band?

So my answer to the question posed in my title is this:

 I have no idea. I don't even know the names of the band members, never mind their claims about religion. And even if I did, God alone knows their hearts.

But this post was inspired by a conversation I had that went like this:

       "Slayer is a Christian band."
        "But their lyrics glorify death"
        "Well, God embraces death."


God embraces death. Now, there is something I can speak on. No, no he doesn't. God overcame death.

Death is not something to be sought or praised. It was not present in the Garden of Eden but entered our world because of the first sin of man. It was not originally intended to be part of the natural order of things. It is an intruder, an enemy.

1 Corinthians 15:26 says, "The last enemy to be destroyed is death."

Death, however, is not an enemy to be feared by the Christian. Those who are in relationship with Jesus already have eternal life. For us, death is not victorious. He has won that battle for us, at a huge price. I don't think He would have paid that if death were a friend or something He embraced.


What do you think?





I am participating in the Ultimate Blog Challenge. This is post #3 of 30.

I am also hosting Wednesday Encouragements: A Christian Blogging Challenge. I challenge fellow bloggers who are also Christians to post an encouragement for their brothers and sisters in Christ each Wednesday from Easter to Pentecost.

No comments:

Post a Comment