Wednesday, April 25, 2012

For Military Kids

I forgot to wear purple on April 13. Actually, I meant to post on the 12th, explaining why everyone should wear purple on the 13th. Oops.

Apparently, purple is the color that represents all the branches of the military. It's a mix of army green, navy blue, marine red, etc. April is Military Kid Awareness Month. The 13th was the day picked by Operation Military Kids to encourage people to wear purple to thank and support these young heros.

I was a military kid once. Don't remember it much. I was born on Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri and spent my infancy there. My father was a Captain in the reserves after that for a several years.

For kids whose parents are actually deployed, things can be tough. Military families usually don't have a lot (I'll have more to say on that in another post.) and separation is hard regardless. While modern technology allows for more communication than was available years ago, that doesn't make up for the lack of hugs, homework help and fishing trips.

So, if you know a military kid, give them a hand. A hug and smile will be a blessing. A special outing will be deeply appreciated. And don't forget the at home parent. They could use a  little help, too. Maybe mow the lawn, do the dishes, babysit?

Whether you know a military kid or not, say a prayer for them all. They deserve it.

Have a blessed day!





I am also participating in the Ultimate Blogging Challenge. This is post #19 of the 30 I need to do in April to meet the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment