Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Explosions, fizzles and lab reports

So I am teaching chemistry this week to three children in my homeschool.

We've learned what happens when you wet a mixture of baking soda and citric acid. We've watched raisins dance in seltzer water. We've popped a cork off of a coke bottle. Of course, we had a few failed experiments, too. Actually, more than a few... The kids have done some independent experimenting, too. Or at least playing with the materials.

Oh, and we've learned to write lab reports and balance chemical equations.

Tomorrow, we do work sheets.

Well, when we are not blowing  up marshmallows, filtering food coloring out of water and separating salt from pepper after they are mixed together. (I'm a mean teacher, sometimes.)


I am hoping the kids more and more excited about science. I think one of them will actually pursue it as a career.

In the meantime...





No comments:

Post a Comment