Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Tragedy

Sometimes, when I can't find the words to say about something I seek other's words. I have done that in the wake of the Las Vegas disaster.

I first heard about the tragedy shortly after I woke up yesterday morning. I saw a post from a friend who works at concert venues in Las Vegas saying he was safe. I had to look for why he needed to tell us that.

I really can't find the words for this. I looked for prayers to use in times of tragedy and found this page: Prayers in Times of Tragedy and Disaster.  I think perhaps they couldn't formulate the words either so they went straight to the best source of all, God's word itself. The first prayer is taken straight from Psalm 46:

Prayers in Times of Trouble and Disaster 
God is our refuge
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change,
though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea;
though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble with its tumult. God is in the midst of the city; it shall not be moved;

God will help it when the morning dawns.
The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.

(from Psalm 46)

An affirmation that God is with us, holds us keeps us. Not a final answer. There were hundreds not physically safe, thousands traumatized. But God is there and we can run to Him. Like a father, he will open his arms and hold us close.

Another appropriate prayer:

A Prayer in a Time of Distress
Almighty and everlasting God, You are strength to those who suffer and comfort to those who grieve. Let the prayers of your children who are in trouble rise to you.
Hear our prayer.
We claim your promises of wholeness as we pray for those who are ill or are suffering loss and long for your healing touch.
Hear our prayer.
Make the weak strong, the sick healthy, the broken whole, and confirm those who serve them as agents of your love.
Hear our prayer.
To everyone in distress, grant mercy, grant relief, grant refreshment.
Hear our prayer.
As we begin to rebuild, we commend our neighborhoods to your care. Give us strength of purpose and concern for others, that we may create a community where your will may be done.
Hear our prayer.
God of compassion, you watch our ways, and weave out of terrible happenings wonders of goodness and grace.
Hear our prayer.
Surround those who have been shaken by tragedy with a sense of your present love,
and hold them in faith. Though they are lost in grief, may they find you and be comforted;
Through Jesus Christ who was dead, but lives and rules this world with you. Amen.


I want to do something. I want to stop this from ever happening again. I want to change things. But the solutions won't come over night. So I pray. I hope you will, too.







 I am participating on the October 2017 Ultimate Blog Challenge. A blog post every day in October. #blogboost

3 comments:

  1. When we don't know what to say or pray going to the source is the best idea. Thanks for sharing those verses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Sometimes the mind is so shocked it's hard to think. These prayers are very appropriate at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in total shock when I saw yet again a mass tragedy but I have faith and God will always be with us. Such heartwarming and beautiful prayers.

    ReplyDelete