Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Pantry Challenge

Prompted by two friends, I have decided to try an "April Pantry Challenge."


The idea is to only buy perishables and use up all the foodstuffs in your pantry and freezer.


My food budget is in two monthly installments, beginning on the 1st and 15th of each month, and I do two large shopping trips each month, occasionally picking up things in between,  I decided to set the following parameters:




$80 for each budget period for perishable items.
$100 for treats (including the chips for the chocolate chip cookies I promised a friend) and meals on the road during April vacation (we'll take snacks and sandwiches as well)
Special dispensation for Easter treats/dinner items.


Only food counts. Cleaning supplies, toiletries and similar items are in a different budget line.


I did fill in two holes in my pantry before starting: white flour (those cookies require it) and Earl Grey decaffeinated tea (the boy's request.)


Did the first shop today. So far, so good.


I will need to menu plan, I think to make this work.


For this week's dinners:


Tonight: Potatoes with homemade salsa and cheese
Tomorrow: Soup with stock from the freezer, rice and lentils from the pantry, and vegetables
Thursday: Homemade eggrolls and Jasmine rice
Friday: Pancakes, Bacon, Fruit
Saturday: Leftovers/meal at a retreat
Sunday: Pasta with sautéed veggies
Monday: Brown Rice and Lentil Casserole




We'll see how this goes. I hope my pantry gets a good spring cleaning!




Have you ever tried anything similar?

No comments:

Post a Comment