Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Mermaids and Babies

I run a creative writing club for homeschool kids and right now they are working on a set of shared world stories. My son decided to populate an underwater kingdom with good and evil mermaids.

He began with an illustration, drawing mermaids in traditional form with their chests  obsured by  long hair and their lower private parts replaced by tails.

This lead to an interesting question: How do mermaids reproduce?

My son pointed out that there are mermen but didn't think that really was a complete explanation, because of the tails. We discussed fish reproduction but didn't find that a satisfactory answer either. Merpeople have too many human characteristics.

So after debate and discussion, we concluded that these amazing legendary creatures reproduce by:


IMAGINATION.

If you have a better answer, please let me know. 


Have a blessed day!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, just thought I would mention that this question has been stuck in my mind for last 10 minutes....then I Googled...."how do mermaids have babies" ....yeah I know, I'm strange, but let me tell you, there are a lot of people asking the same question out there

    ReplyDelete
  2. No stranger than us. I suppose it's a natural question in certain contexts...

    ReplyDelete