Sunday, October 30, 2011

Oh for a Thousand Tongues to Sing

Sometimes a bit of a hymn gets stuck in my head. Usually, it's because I have heard or sung the hymn stays.

Today's line was:

"His blood can make the foulest clean,
His blood availed for me."

I didn't even know what hymn it came from, I had to look it up. Turns out that it is part of "O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing," a joyous hymn that I enjoy singing.

Here's a link to it:


O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing
The words are by Charles Wesley and the music by Carl G. Glazer. It is in the public domain.


This hymn was there before church this morning and I don't know why. Worship turned out to be about the resurrection and the fact that if it didn't happen, we are still in our sins. Maybe God wanted to give me some personal assurance of my cleansing and salvation, so he slipped this phrase into my thoughts. I don't know. At any rate I know both that the words are true and the resurrection is real.

Does this sort of thing ever happen to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment