Tuesday, December 14, 2010

How much playing is too much?

"Most middle class Americans tend to worship their work, to work at their play and to play at their worship." ~Gordon Dahl


The pastor mentioned this quote in his sermon on Sunday, but long before that I had begun musing on how much recreation and self-entertainment is too much.

How often does play interfere with my goals in other areas? Sometimes I find myself procratinating on important things-- and playing instead. Or I will be distracted by a game and end up having to stay up late to get work done.


I see games as a part of the sabbath portion of life. They allow us to relax and connect with others. In a time and place in which most of us work at sedentary jobs, play can provide the physical activity needed for good health. This recreation should be part of the rythym of our lives.

But what happens when it takes over? When it becomes our reason for being? Or all that we look forward to? Then, I think, it is out of balance. I feel like play should not be a priority, that it should take a smaller chunk of my time and energy than my worship, my relationships, my work. Well, most of the time. An occasional weekend or week given over to primarily play can make a great vacation. "Everything in moderation, including moderation." And of course there is overlap. When a Mom agrees to play a board game with her child, is she working or playing? Both, maybe. When my son gets involved in a physical game is it education or recreation? Again, it could be both.

It's mostly a matter of keeping things in their ightful place. I do strive to keep in mind that I am here to glorify God , not to entertain myself.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment