Friday, June 21, 2013

Summer Poetry

A blogging group I belong to is focusing on summer this month and today is the first day of summer. I decided to share a poem about a summer night. (It is night here, now.) Hope you enjoy it.




Back Yard

  by Carl Sandburg


Shine on, O moon of summer.  
Shine to the leaves of grass, catalpa and oak,  
All silver under your rain to-night.  
  
An Italian boy is sending songs to you to-night from an accordion.  
A Polish boy is out with his best girl; they marry next month;
     to-night they are throwing you kisses.
  
An old man next door is dreaming over a sheen that sits in a
     cherry tree in his back yard.  
  
The clocks say I must go—I stay here sitting on the back porch drinking
     white thoughts you rain down.  
  
     Shine on, O moon,  
Shake out more and more silver changes. 





What are your thoughts of summer?

3 comments:

  1. Summer is my favorite time of year. I love the warmth and the sunshine. I understand why the pagans worship the sun. Happy Summer to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I am actually more of a cold weather person.

      Delete
  2. Lovely poem! I really like that poet.

    It's funny; I'm much more a cold weather person too, I think. Fall is my favorite season, but the dead of summer is just to HUMID here that I can't stand it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete