Saturday, March 24, 2012

Experimental Recipe

Sometimes I look around, see what I have for ingredients and experiment. Now and then, something is successful.

The other day, I had an extra pie shell, some black beans I had soaked and cooked, some peas and small container of broth leftover from cooking corned beef. All frozen. And a few potatoes and some bread crumbs. So I got to defrosting. I turned the potatoes and broth into mashed potatoes. Then I took the beans added some barbecue sauce and black pepper and heated them on the stove. I put those in the bottom of the pie shell, added a layer of peas, piled on the mashed potatoes, topped it with bread crumbs and baked it at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

My family enjoyed it. My son had trouble explaining to Dad what we were having for dinner, so I called it a variant of Shepherd's Pie. It's now in our meal rotation.



What's been your favorite food experiment?

1 comment: