Sunday, October 20, 2013

Song for Sunday: He Leadeth Me

"I can't complain but sometimes I still do." 

                                              ~ Joe Walsh

A friend of mine posted this as as his Facebook status, going on to say that he knows he has nothing to complain about because God has blessed him and that he is grateful that  forgiveness is always available when he complains anyway. This struck me because it is very true of me as well. 


Then, in church this morning, we sang "He Leadeth Me. The lines that caught my attention was "Nor ever murmer nor repine. Content whatever lot I see since 'tis my God that leadeth me." 

I am reminded of an activity the staff at CYC did one year. At "Staff-in," our one day orientation before the students arrive, we were given rubber bracelets. We were told that anytime we complained, we were to move our bracelets from one wrist to the other. It was meant as an awareness technique and I think it did some good. Most of us kept it up for the whole two weeks. 

Anyway, He Leadeth Me is a beloved hymn for many and today's "Song for Sunday." 

He leadeth me, O blessèd thought!
O words with heav’nly comfort fraught!
Whate’er I do, where’er I be
Still ’tis God’s hand that leadeth me.

He leadeth me, He leadeth me,
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful follower I would be,
For by His hand He leadeth me.

Sometimes mid scenes of deepest gloom,
Sometimes where Eden’s bowers bloom,
By waters still, over troubled sea,
Still ’tis His hand that leadeth me.

He leadeth me, He leadeth me,
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful follower I would be,

For by His hand He leadeth me.

Lord, I would place my hand in Thine,
Nor ever murmur nor repine;
Content, whatever lot I see,
Since ’tis my God that leadeth me.

He leadeth me, He leadeth me,
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful follower I would be,

For by His hand He leadeth me.

And when my task on earth is done,
When by Thy grace the vict’ry’s won,
E’en death’s cold wave I will not flee,
Since God through Jordan leadeth me.


He leadeth me, He leadeth me,
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful follower I would be,
For by His hand He leadeth me.

                           ~Joseph H. Gilmore, 1862
                             In the public domain




What lines from songs have been standing out for you?
Any thoughts on complaining?



4 comments:

  1. Melinda, I love music and there are countless lines that stand out for me. One example is: pretty much every line from the song, "I can only imagine". I cry every time I hear this song. Nearer my God to Thee is another powerful song for me. As for complaining ~ I work hard to refrain from complaining but it sometimes creeps up. I immediately recognize this when it's happening and turn my thoughts or comments around. Thanks for writing a great article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard "I Can Only Imagine" but I just looked it up and it is very powerful. Thanks for introducing it to me. I also love "Nearer My God to Thee!" I need to do better on that complaining thing....

      Delete
  2. no complaining :) my favorite lines "His faithful follower I would be, For by His hand He leadeth me"

    ReplyDelete