Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Serenity Prayer.

This is best known by the slightly altered version used in Alcoholics Anonymous and has been helpful to millions, whether they are in recovery or not.

Here is the original prayer, written by Reinhold Niebuhr


God, give us grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to Your will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You forever in the next.
Amen.


Has the Serenity Prayer ever helped you?



My blog site is currently a "work in progress." I am playing with the look, reducing the amount of advertising and consolidating the labels so that things are easier to find. Comments and suggestions welcome. Look for changes over the next few weeks.



This is my sixteenth post for the October 2012 Ultimate Blog Challenge. I'm trying for 31 posts in 31 days, plus commenting on two posts by other people every day. 

2 comments:

  1. Serenity is the first prayer I recall saying at the age of 36 after my first Gamblers Anonymous meeting. I like all the versions. I think this is the first I seen it this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the versions are amazing ... this is the "original" but a prayer is a prayer...the others aren't "less" for having been inspired by this one. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete