Saturday, October 8, 2011

Prayers for self-discipline

Because I feel I need them right now....


Heavenly Father come close; come quickly.
My heart cries out; my raised hands are my morning prayers.
Post a guard at my mouth, God, set a watch at the door of my lips.
Police my mind; arrest my dreams of evil or thoughts of bad company.
Shield me from those who do wrong— don’t let them lure me with their schemes.
May the Just One be my warden; correct me and set me straight,
Don’t let sin imprison my soul.
Dear Lord, I only have eyes for You.
Since I’ve run for dear life to You, safeguard my heart.
Help me to talk the talk,
and also walk the walk,
just like Your Son, Jesus, in whose name I come.
Amen.
~~ Adaptation/Paraphrase of Psalm 141
credits: http://chirho.wordpress.com/2007/11/25/today’s-morning-prayer-discipline-and-protection/


Dear Lord
Thank you for teaching me
the lesson of divine discipline.
Help me remember the worth of self-control
and not just the rewards.
Help me discipline my life and my heart.
Give me the personal willpower
to make a lifelong commitment.
Give me your supernatural power
to make lifestyle changes.
Give me the persuasive power of Godly people
to make life changing choices.
Help me persevere in divine discipline.
Help me practice the disciplines of life -
spiritual, physical and mental.
Help me use divine discipline
to change the world.
Thank you oh Lord,
for a disciplined life
that's possible with you.
In your precious name I pray
Amen
Prayer from Rhonda Harrington Kelley's book Divine Discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment