Friday, October 28, 2011

More than their share...

I was chatting with a friend and he told me about some new people in his neighborhood.

It seems they have built new houses, which they use as vacation homes. These homes are generally empty, except for certain summer weekends. BUT the heat is on year round to protect the artwork they contain.

My friend's wife was an accountant. She had as a client an oil dealer who works on an island full of such second homes. He told her that when he started a few decades ago, he would take out his truck in the morning, drive around delivering oil, and then go back home for lunch at which time he would fill the truck for the afternoon run. Now, he goes to one home, delivers the oil and needs to return home to fill the truck right away, because it is empty.

That's right, he empties a whole truckload of oil at one house, at which no one is living.

Um, I had heard that we need to conserve oil and other fossil fuels. When I related this to another friend, he wondered aloud how people could justify that level of consumption.  I wonder that, too.

So, I think I might start to write more posts on conservation, as well as being careful of my own fuel use. I am not sure what else I can do to help. Environmental issues are close to my heart, but I am not hugely knowledgeable. Perhaps we can all share some ideas.

Have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment