Sunday, April 1, 2012

Ultimate Blog Challenge, April 2012 -- Palm Sunday

The Ultimate Blog Challenge has rolled around again and I am going to give it another try. I have attempted it three times and completed it once. This time I am aiming to post 31 times in the month and to comment on at least two other participants' blogs Monday-Saturday. Can I do it? We'll see.


Today was Palm Sunday. This rather minor holiday is one of my favorites. It doesn't really take any preparation, is upbeat and includes a tradition that I love.

That is weaving palm leaves into crosses. My father learned to do that as a child and always did it for the church. I cherish the last Palm Cross he ever made.

Toward the end of his life, I learned to weave the crosses and now I make them for any who wants them. I get a bit of attention and people seem to be glad to have a reminder of Jesus to take home.

This morning an older man of the church approached me as I entered coffee hour. "It's Palm Sunday. I'm waiting for my present from you." I wove him the first cross. It occured to me that he is moving -- about 3,000 miles away -- so in the future I will need to mail him his cross.

Traditions help us to find stability as the seasons of our lives change. Even simple ones like weaving Palm Crosses.


Have a blessed day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment