Monday, December 13, 2010

A Broken World....Seeking Peace

My very first post on this blog was about Jordan's strange creche. The one with Mary sunbathing on the roof, animals upside down, a horse climbing the stairs and utter chaos reigning. He had set out to make the strangest scene possible. We were laughing that week.


I have noticed that this scene does not inspire devotion at first glance. What I have tried to do is let it represent the fact that Jesus was born into a broken, chaotic world. Occupied, overcrowded Bethlehem was not a calm and lovely place.

While Jordan's version is too bizarre, typical renditions are too idealistic. What was the stable that Jesus was born into like? We can't know, of course. It may have been well kept, clean, warm and quiet. Or it may have been filthy, drafty and noisy. Perhaps it hadn't been mucked out because the owner was busy with the census...or because he was jsut plain lazy. There may have been broken yokes and trash around. There may have been dozens of animals crowded in, bleating and braying.

Was the manger ready for baby Jesus? Or did Joseph have to use his carpentry skills to fix a broken one found abandoned in the corner? Jordan's scene makes me wonder.

Another thing is that the creche in our house this year is not offer a sense of peace. I struggle with this in a season when I need peace. I want to reorder everything and have a peaceful place wher I can rest my eyes. But this isn't about me. So, as family tradition dictates, I let the manger stand.

Right now I am at a friends' house. I am glad to see a traditional manger scene. In addition to it's central meaning it is symbolic of the fact that this home is a place where I can rest and de-stress. It is something to be grateful for that I can relax here for a few days.


I contemplate this as my mother struggles with cancer, a college acquaintance seeks to bring her daughter home from Siberia, a friend heals from a broken relationship. We live in a broken world....and that is why Christ came.

May He speak peace in all our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment